Spyware / Adware
Viruses, worms & Trojan horses
A virus is a program that replicates itself, usually by attaching itself to other files and program. A worm is a program that does not infect other programs but makes copies of itself. Trojan horse programs do not replicate nor make copies of themselves, but rely on other “manual” method of distribution. We use the term “Virus” on this page to cover all forms of infections.Virus are spread in a variety of ways.
- Email attachments (such as klez, Badtrans, myparty)
- Instant messages links and attachments (such as Aplore)
- Compromised web services (such as Nimda)
- Usenet news groups
- Internet relay Chart channels
- USB Storage
- File downloads (many backdoor Trojans are embedded with other files)
|[This picture shows the statistics of Online Threats in the world: Updated report until 22nd October'13.]|
- Self-replicating Viruses that reside in the active memory of a computer.
- Worms send themselves out to the Internet from infected system.
- Either include tiny e-mail servers or search for unprotected shared network
- Threats enabled by (/through) Trojans
- DDos attacks(distributed denial-of-
- Data stealing
- Distributed spam emails
- Do not replicate
- Cookies-Track you online.
- Browser Hijackers-Changes default home page.
- Tracking Cookies-Gathers info of web usage.
- Trickles-Re-installs spyware when detected.
- Keyloggers-Records anything you type.
- Dos & DDos attacks
- FileCryptors & PoluCryptors
- Nukers …Etc.
- Confidential information stealing by fraud emails & web sites (author falsified)
- Several millions of phishingg messages have been sent world wide
- Fastes growing threat today:SPIM
- Instant message SPAM
- Slow computer, System reboots
- Mouse moves by itself
- Browser goes to unexpected web sites
- Slow internet access
- Endless popup ads
- New desktop toolbars
- Disabled antivirus scanner or firewall
- Check startup programs groups regulation for software you didn't install
- Add/Remove programs for software’s you didn't install (make a list of install items on a new machine and check the list regularly)
- Check running services monthly
- Check running processes in task manage
- Monitor open ports
- Monitor outgoing and incoming connections.
- Antivirus software
- Antispyware Tools
Know about Top 10 Security Vulnerabilities.